Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins

This morning I made these, as after a fun morning and luring someone over to chat over tea and muffins, there seemed no other choice but to take the opportunity to try out something I had wanted to for a while: Blueberry cornmeal muffins. I'd played around with adding a bit of cornmeal to muffins before, but these took out half the flour and replaced it with cornmeal, adding a bit of crunch. Though really, I would have made them with absolutely no reason to as well. Does one need a reason for muffins?



The lone survivor...




Only one is left and they haven't been out of the oven for three hours yet, so I would say these were edible at least - they worked well still hot with a bit of butter.

It was the basic muffin recipe I have found successful, as found on Joy of Baking, but with a cup of cornmeal substituted for one of the two cups of flour.
So that means the recipe looked like this:

In a large bowl, mix together:
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

In a second bowl, mix together
1 cup yoghurt
1 large egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil (or your neutral oil of preference)

Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry mix, blend together with a spatula until the mixture is moistened (but may still be lumpy, which is fine), and then gently stir in 1 cup of blueberries (I used frozen ones). Then spoon this into greased muffin tins, and bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes. When they look done, take them out of the tin and let them cool on a rack.
It should make about 12 muffins, depending on the size of your muffin tins.
My grandmother told me that muffins had to be taken out of their tins to cool or they would get wet on the bottom, and so I do.

Comments

Popular Posts